Friday, August 28, 2009

The End of an Era

I'm not sure what the on-line etiquette is in this situation, but it seems like important news to pass on so...

First of all, may I have a moment of silence while I speak the benediction? "Gucci, Gucci, Garnet. You were a good series."

Yes, Garnet Lacey is no more. The book I finished this year, HONEYMOON OF THE DEAD, will be coming out in May of '10 as scheduled. However, my editor turned down the proposals my agent and I sent for books 6, 7 and 8. As far as I know, all the previous books are still in print. I haven't heard that they're going to be remaindered right away or anything.

Yesterday was my day of mourning. I wailed and gnashed teeth. But it was a rather less dramatic affair than you might imagine because I *am* still contracted for three books in the new young adult series. And, as I told Shawn, we're not really _out_ anything, since, most years, I only write one book a year anyway. More to the point, Penguin was actually quite gracious. They told my agent that they're interested in possibly seeing a new series by me. So it's not like they said, "And don't let the door hit you on the way out." In fact, quite the opposite. It's hard to be too depressed when this really does feel like an opportunity to propose something fun and fresh. My editor would like to see contemporary urban fantasy, but that's a mighty wide pool. I'm kind of excited to start pondering ideas. I think I've mentioned this before, but I actually really, really LOVE writing proposals. Most people dread the synopsis, but I rather embrace it. It's a funny thing.

Speaking of which, I thought that for fun, I might post the proposals of the Garnet books that Shall Never Be over the next couple days so people can see what might have been...

Meanwhile.... be vewy quiet, I'm hunting ideas!

8 comments:

Blue said...

IM SO SAD ABOUT THIS. its so not right. Please do post the synopsis so at least we have SOMETHING to hang on to. UGH

We love u chicky... Garnet ROCKS

AbsolutTwilight said...

I am so super sad about this. I LOVE the books, and recomended them to most of my friends, and even gave them as gifts. i was so looking forward to MANY MANY MORE, Garnet tales. Sigh... Well good luck and PLEASE try to find a way to keep em coming even if its in web tales, or Downloadable PDFs from your web site..that would work too.. You are too good of a writer not to continue Garnet's tale.... Keep it up...PLEASE!
We love ya..

tate hallaway said...

Thanks for the condolences! I have moments of being super sad, too, but I will continue somehow. No worries.

Natasha said...

Bummer!
I love Garnet and her tales. We didn't have them in our local boor stores and it hard to order in but I did it and I was so stoked once they arrived. I read them each in a few hours flat. I really wish there would be more, but I am excited for HONEYMOON OF THE DEAD and for new books and series from you!
Great work, good luck in the future!

Tasha

Natasha said...

Book* not Boor, they are far from that! haha

Vickib said...

I almost cried when I read that Garnet will be no more! I love these books and was SO looking forward to more adventures involving all the characters. There was so much material there for more wonderful books. Please tell youe idoit publishers that they are makeing a huge mistake in killing off the series. Thank you for so many hours of laughter and fun reading about Garnet and friends.
Ever your fan,
Vicki Bullen

UrbanReaderChick™ said...

OMG!!!! NO!!!!! I love Garnet and her misadventures. Say it ain't so. :-(

Laura Brown said...

One thing I don't like about romance books is how the story ends when the relationship becomes a marriage. Like that is the end goal and there isn't anything noteworthy afterwards. Marriage is MUCH harder and better than dating someone. Maybe you can continue the series with a different publisher?